1. Social Studies - test next Wednesday on the New England and Middle Colonies. Complete the map on the back of the yellow sheet and use the practice maps to test yourself. Come on Tuesday with your notes stapled and be ready for our review.
2. Scholastic News - packet due next Friday.
3. Wordly Wise - complete the crosswords on pages 46-47 and 93 to review the words we've learned so far.
1. Math - homework for lesson 4
2. Wordly Wise - workbook activities due tomorrow; test tomorrow. Here is the link for the Quizlet to review Lesson 8 words: https://quizlet.com/_8sx6g
3. Spelling - homework due tomorrow; quiz tomorrow.
4. Scholastic News - packet and back of magazine - due tomorrow.
5. Social Studies - Test next Wednesday on the New England and Middle Colonies. Students have 3 copies of the 13 Colonies Map to practice. The master is Handout #2.
1. Math - Homework for lesson 4
2. Wordly Wise and Spelling - Complete the homework. Quizzes on Friday.
3. Nightly Reading - Read the Scholastic News magazine and complete the packet and the activities on the back of the magazine. Show your best work! Due Friday.
4. Social Studies - Test next Wednesday. Study a little each night. Complete the map on the back of the neon yellow test announcement!
1. Math - Homework for Module 4, Lesson 2
2. Wordly Wise and Spelling - complete the workbook activities and spelling homework by Friday. Quizzes on Friday.
3. IRP - Rewrite your draft research outline tonight based on my comments and our conference. Most students finished this is class.
4. Kidblog - Due tomorrow. As discussed in class, make sure you are describing the main character's inner struggles, hopes/fears, and character traits. Give deep thought to the theme. You should examine what the main character learned about life or a Big Idea. Do not choose a basic theme such "Never give up" or "If you try hard you can accomplish your goal." All 5th grade level books have these themes.
5. Nightly Reading - Carefully read the Scholastic News magazine. Complete the packet and the back-page quizzes by Friday. Written answers need to accurate and use detailed evidence from the text.
1. Math - Finish the two TenMarks assignments. These assignments are part of students' Module 3 grade. Most students started these in class.
2. Wordly Wise - Test on Friday. All activities need to be completed by Friday. Most students completed through Section C in class today, and do not have any homework due tonight.
3. Spelling - Homework due Friday; quiz Friday.
4. IRP - Rewrite the Research Outline, using my comments. Many students completed in class today. Due on Wednesday.
5. Science - Test on Wednesday. If you have participated in class, you should not need to study.
6. Kidblog - January Kidlbog on Wednesday.
7. Scholastic News - carefully read the magazine and complete the packet. Due on Friday. This counts toward students' nightly 20 minutes of reading.
1. Math - test on Monday on adding and subtracting mixed numbers and fractions.
2. Kidblog - due on Wednesday
3. Wordly Wise - workbook due on Friday; quiz Friday.
1. Math - Homework 15
2. Kidblog - due January 16, next Wednesday
3. Spelling - HW/Quiz on Friday.
1. Math - Homework for Lesson 14
2. Kidblog - Due January 16.
3. Scholastic News - Finish the packet for the Scholastic News we started before break. Due tomorrow.
4. Spelling - Hw/quiz - Friday.
1. Math - Do application problems 8 - 11 in the gray application problem packet. Complete 1-9 on the work sheet to practice subtraction with regrouping.
2. Kidblog - Show your parents the graded December Kidblog and my comments and advice. The next Kidblog review is due next Wednesday, January 16. Students must be reading a book at their reading level, not below. The book cannot be a graphic novel. The written review is how I know whether students are grasping 5th grade text concepts about theme, character, plot, etc.
3. Scholastic News - Some students did not finish a Scholastic News packet that they started before holiday break. It needs to be finished by Wednesday.
4. Spelling - Homework and quiz - Friday.
1. Math - Homework for Lesson 12. Try different strategies to solve the problem: use improper fractions, decompose the first number and/or the second numbers, borrow from the whole number to regroup.
2. Kidblog - Due January 16.
Tomorrow - Bring a wrapped book for our Yankee Swap! Wear PJs and/or an ugly sweater. Bring a small stuffed animal. Last day before Holiday Break! :)